I thought that Running Loose was a pretty good book. Chris Crutcher could’ve made it better in some parts. He was really slow in some parts and in others he was just too fast. Otherwise it was a good book. I didn’t think that I was going to like it very much because it wasn’t in the genre of books that I usually read. But, I was impressed with how good it was for not being in that genre.
A part that I would change in the book is where Becky dies. It plays good with the story line and it’s a twist, but I didn’t think it really fit with what was going on. I didn’t think that he needed to make her die. All of the football drama would’ve pretty much brought out the whole tantrum Louie throws anyways. It was kind of depressing for Becky to die. Becky was a good character and I think that she could’ve helped Louie through everything if she wouldn’t have died. (I know that she had no choice, but the author did!)
A part that I thought was too fast was where Louie calls Boomer out to the referee on his play against Washington. I think that Chris Crutcher could’ve explained a little more about that. For example; he could’ve elaborated a little more on what Louie was saying to the referee. Crutcher could’ve said:
‘I walked right up to the coach, threw my helmet on the ground, and looked at him like he missed a meteor crashing down on the Earth.
“What are you doing? Why didn’t you call that?” I yelled in his face.
“Call what?” He asked, but I knew that he saw the play. Everyone saw that play.
“The play that Boomer made against Washington! Everyone saw it! You couldn’t have missed it, for goodness sakes you’re the referee! Do something!” I yelled.
Arney Todd motioned for Lednecky to come over.
“He’s not going to do anything, he’s the one who planned it!”
“What is it, Arney?” Coach Lednecky asked.
“Banks here is saying that Boomer made an illegal play against Washington. Is that true?” Arney Todd asked Lednecky.
“No, I didn’t see it. Maybe you need to sit out the rest of the game, Banks.” Lednecky turned to me giving me a warning look.
“I don’t need to sit out the rest of the game. You told us to take out Washington so we could win the game. Don’t act like I’m the only one who heard it.” I yelled in Lednecky’s face.
“Banks, I never said anything about taking out Washington. Nobody did anything wrong here.” He turned to Arney. “I’ll make sure he gets a real talking to, okay?”
“You better or that boy will be trouble.” Arney warned.
“I’m not no trouble.” I told Arney, I still had a temper. “Lednecky called the play and now he’s denying it. I can’t play on a team like this.”
“Don’t say another word or you’ll be off this team. You hear me, Banks?”
“I wouldn’t stay on this team even if you paid me.” I said and walked away from the both of them.
Carter yelled after me, but I turned to him and just shook my head.
I walked out to the truck and tore off the streamers and threw the cooler out of the back. Becky came walking up to me and tried to calm me but there was no use. She asked if she wanted me to come with her, but I said that I should just be alone for awhile. Then, I drove off.’
That’s what I think Chris Crutcher should’ve written for that part. That’s all I have to say about his writing.
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really liked how you rewrote the part of the book where Louie decides to quite the football team. You definatly add more detail that as a reader made it more clear on what was happening. Also, it seems like you added more emotion into each character. If written your way that part of the book would have been much more memorable then it already was.
Did you ever think about what would happen if Louie would of stayed on the football team or decided to join it again?
I don't think the book would've been the same. It wouldn't have been as exciting and wouldn't have been as interesting. The story wouldn't have had all of the action as it did in the end and Louie wouldn't have made friends with Washington. I did think about it, I just decided that I would stick with how the writer wrote it but would make it a tad more interesting.
Post a Comment